Sunday, May 29, 2011

School's Out For Summer!

My little guy, Jack finished his last day of 1st Grade on Friday. When I picked him up from school, his face was all red and tears were streaming down. My sweet little Jack. He is my sensitive little one who definitely takes after his mama. I get all tied up in emotions and tend to cry at the drop of a hat. (Even tears of joy, I can't seem to hold back.) Even though most children are reveling in the fact that school is out for summer, Jack is sad. He has been filled with excitement all week from the year end festivities at school, but knew that at the end of the week it would be time for goodbyes. He adores his teacher and several friends in his class. One of them is even moving away to Oregon permanently. He knows deep down that he most likely said bye to his friend forever, and it is so much for his little mind and heart to grasp. We as adults know how hard it can be, and sometimes it breaks my heart to watch my kids grow and learn that we all have to encounter times of sadness and goodbyes in our life. Wow, I thought this would be a lively post, but I have progressively gone downhill! It doesn't help that I just watched Charlie St. Cloud, what a tear jerker movie!

Today I am sharing with you my final card for http://www.twistedsketches.com/. Yes, my term is up and it was a fun & exciting experience! The card is sketch #061 with "summer" as the twist. I thought this would be the perfect time to create this card for my Jack to signify that "school is out for summer" is a time to celebrate! He will have enough things to worry about as an adult...he should embrace being a child and enjoy every single minute of it. What I wouldn't give to be a child again! How about you?

The products I used are as follows:
KI Memories: lasercut Swirls in teal from the Pop Culture collection
Jenni Bowlin: Play Date Die-Cut Label Paper (I wanted to use it, but the overall image was way too big for a 5X7 card, so I decided to scan and shrink the image. It worked out perfectly. I used one print directly on the card. The other one, I hand cut the sun rays, curled them up and applied some chalk ink for extra dimension.)
ColorBox: Yellow Citrus & Sky Blue chalk inks
The Girls' Paperie: cardstock stickers from the Kitch collection
Cosmo Cricket: cardstock stickers from the Oh Boy! collection
Pink Paislee: Weathered Wood Scarlet chipboard alphas
American Crafts: Thickers Vinyl Poolside alphas
Other: kraft cardstock & white embroidery floss

I hope you all have enjoyed all the cards I have created for the Twisted Sketches Design Team. :)

Amy

5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awwwwwwwwwww poor guy :( I love your card!! LOVING those colors! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Valerie said...

Just reading about your son is making me tear up. I have a lot in common with you guys - end of school always makes me sad :(
Your card is lovely Amy and it was an honor to be on the Twisted team with you!

kate blue said...

are our terms up so soon? ? cute card cause it has all my favorite colors !!! and my 1st grader is still in school for 3 more weeks if you can believe that!

~jan said...

Hugs to Jack! I can relate to what is Jack is feeling-I will miss seeing your cards at Twisted. :( You went out with a bang with this card though! Just fabulous!!

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

Your cards and projects are always a delight to look at and always very inspiring! :) awww poor lil jack, but ur rite, I too feel sad wen my lil gurl (she's oni two *lol*!) encounters times of sadness :( and I esp feel worst wen she gets pushed around or beaten at playgroup..but yes..off to youe card *lol* it's beautiful my friend! :)