Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blue Bird Hybrid Calendar

Hello Everyone! I would like to share with you my first "official" hybrid creation! What is hybrid you ask? Maybe most of you know, but I had not a clue what it meant until Julie Ann Shahin approached me to do a hybrid project for the debut of Ginger Scraps Street Magazine. Hybrid basically means the combination of both digital and actual hands-on product. For my first hybrid attempt, I chose to use the digital Joy Page Kit by Michelle Underwood. (Two Peas in a Bucket) Filled with lots of wonderful reds, silvers & aquas I knew this is exactly what I wanted. After printing out lots of the patterned paper and imagery I was ready to go. As for the actual project, it is a totally interactive magnetized perpetual calendar. I used a few different techniques to give it added dimension. I paper rolled all the edges of the scallops to mimic the feathers on the wing. I also did lots of fussy cutting on the digital images and put pop dots behind them. You really have to look closely at the calendar, as it is truly hard to differentiate the printed images from the real objects!

As for materials, I used a combination of scrapbooking product, digital as well as my signature vintage goodies. I think when you throw vintage items into the mix, it makes your creation that much more unique and valuable. Don't you agree? Here is a comprehensive list of all the goodies...Digital Supplies: Joy Page Kit by Michelle Underwood; Hybrid Supplies List: Paper: Teresa Colins Ty's: Sports Words, Prima Youth Collection, October Afternoon Vacationer Motel; Rub-Ons: Jenni Bowlin Studio Red Kindergarten Alpha, CTMH Love Letters, Hambly Black Stamp Alphabet; Tags: CTMH; Transparency: Creative Imaginations Clear Acrylic; Stickers: Jolee's All That Bling Blue Puffy Dimensional, SRM Clear Numbers, Making Memories Cheeky Shimmer Silver Alphabet, EK Success Pep Rally Embroidered, Jenni Bowlin Studio Vintage Red, Karen Foster Designs Clearly Calendar; Buttons: Jenni Bowlin Studio Vintage Style, assorted vintage; Charms: Tokens Number Pendant; Markers: Sharpie; Thread: Martha Stewart Baker's Twine; Floss: DMC Lime; Magnets: Hobby Lobby, Creating Keepsakes Heart; Stamps: Fancy Pants Designs Acrylic Create a Calendar; Other: Three By Three Magnetic Bulletin Board, Webster's Pages Bloomer, red Dymo tape, aqua keyboard key, Spare Parts mini bottle caps; Vintage Other: bingo markers/ball, key, offset letterpress, red die, Diet 7UP bottle cap, boy scouts patch, scrabble tile, bakelite dominoes, wood ruler, register keys & lotto game marker/card.

If you want to see the actual article, please visit www.scrapstreet.com/11gss/1janu/organized.htm.

Thanks for stopping by and for all of your sweet comments! I appreciate each and every one of you!

23 comments:

patti west said...

I remember this awesome project from JA's blog. Did I say "awesome"...because I meant "totally awesome"!!! Love it, Amy!! :)

Jenni said...

Wow!!! I love these colors and all of your little trinkets. Looks like you've been productibe with your snow days ;)

Valerie said...

Oh Amy- this is so pretty. I love the vintage color combo and yes, the real vintage details take it to a whole new level. I would never have associated the word 'hybrid' with this fantastic creation. I've just recently started to pay attention to digital elements. So much good stuff out there.
Hope you weathered the storm ok!

Nancy said...

Outstanding job on this Amy! love the digital elements and the colors! Brilliance as always!

Amelia Khalik said...

omg this is absolutely gorgeous!!! Love the colours and awesome details...:))

RĂ´ Philippsen said...

What a amazing Calendar, this is the most wonderful calendar that I saw! I'm totally in love with all the little details.

StephC said...

Wow, this is absolutely amazing! I love it! All of the detail is just breathtaking. I'm always so happy when I see you've posted something new. lol Gorgeous Amy!

Nadine said...

I always get so happy after visiting your colourful blog! I like your creations...
Nadine

~amy~ said...

wow....this is a-mazing...love it!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog:)

Jessy Christopher said...

Extremely stunning!! Love all the details on that blue birdie!!

Unknown said...

This is just fabulous Amy!!! Have a great week!

Sandy xox

rebecca said...

how fun is this!! :) thanks so much for popping by my blog today Amy. luvs.
Rebecca {simple as that}

Kim Sonksen said...

Be.
Still.
My.
Heart.

I am not lying when I say that this is the best EVAH hybrid project I have seen. Girl, I am totally in love and so glad you stopped by my blog, because otherwise I would have never seen this
**wipes-drool-off-keyboard**

Christina said...

WOW! this is amazing!
xo

Michelle Hernandez said...

Such a beautiful project!!! Love the funky mix of magnet elements and the red details when combined with the blue bird- this is a fantastic project!

Cassie said...

This is super fab!!! LOVE it!!
We featured you today on Paper Issues!!!
=)
http://paperissues.blogspot.com/2011/02/bird-calendar.html

kate blue said...

coming over from the Paper Issues Team...am so in love with this...great way to use up stash too!

ellen s. said...

wowowowowowow! how cool!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

OMGOsh!!! Wow!! That is some creativity!!

Jackie said...

This is so fabulous and clever! Love it!

Unknown said...

WOW!!! FAB project!!!

Leah's Crafty Life said...

oh my gracious.. love all the little bitty elements on there.. super fab. I found you via paper issues. :)

Kristy said...

OMG i LOVE THIS! Its so cute, bright and eclectic!